The Benefits of a VA Home Loan
Since its inception in 1944, the VA home loan has been used by more than 20 million Americans to get a mortgage. This program has some great advantages.
VA Home Loan Basics
Insured by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), VA home loans are available to our nation’s military vets, eligible active duty service members and qualified surviving spouses.
The program is very attractive for several reasons. To begin with, there’s a great deal of flexibility. You can get a VA-backed fixed-rate mortgage with a term of 15, 20, or 30 years.
VA loans are the only program that doesn’t require a down payment. This can save you money upfront. And whether you put down 1% or 20%, you won’t have to pay private mortgage insurance on your VA loan. This can save you thousands over the life of the loan.
Under the VA programs, you can refinance up to 120% of your home’s value. That could mean extra money in your pocket to put toward home improvements, a college education or whatever you choose. The VA also offers a streamline refinance program, which means there’s less hassle with documentation than on a comparable conventional loan.
How Do I Qualify?
- You have to use a VA-approved lender.
- You must meet military requirements for eligibility.
- Your lender will need a copy of your DD-214 document from the military.
- You’ll need to obtain a certificate of eligibility from the VA.
- Your credit score must be 620 or higher to qualify for the program.
- Call us today for more information on how to get a VA home loan!
Call us today for more information on how to get a VA home loan!